Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another innocent Kashmiri killed in SOG custody

SRINAGAR (SANA): A 40-year old resident of Alucha Bagh, who is father of three, was killed in custody by Special Operations Group of police, sparking massive anti-police demonstrations. 

“I and my brother (Manzoor Ahmad Beigh) left the home in the morning for our routinely work. At around 1:30 pm, two men came to my shop at Hari Singh High Street and told me that Manzoor has been arrested by personnel of SOG Cargo and shifted to SMHS hospital,” said Manzoor’s brother, Abdul Majeed Beigh of Beigh Mohalla, Alucha Bagh. 

He said, “I alongwith another relative of mine went to SMHS hospital, where we found Manzoor lying dead on a stretcher”.

Manzoor, 40 son of late Abdul Ahad Beigh, who was dealing in the sale and purchase of vehicles and gold, has left behind a widow, two sons and a daughter. 

Claiming that torture marks were visible on Manzoor’s body, Majeed said, “There was a red mark around his throat. His chest was red and the arm pits were swollen. His eyes were closed forcibly with an adhesive tape.”

As the news about Manzoor’s death reached Alucha Bagh, hundreds of men, women and children came out on the Indira Gandhi Airport road and staged demonstrations. They blocked the vehicular movement on the road for nearly three hours, as a result traffic jams became rampant in city from Rambagh to Jawahar Nagar. 

The slogans like “We want freedom”, ‘Qatil Ko Peesh Karo”, “Task force hai hai”, “National Conference Hai Hai’ slogans reverberated the air as the protestors were demanding action against the guilty SOG men.

The protestors clashed with police in the evening. The cops fired tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the agitating people. The cops also fired in air. However, no injuries were reported. 

The Deputy Commissioner Srinagar has ordered an inquiry into the killing while police has launched inquest proceedings under section 174 CrPC.

No comments:

Post a Comment